The United States is imposing a travel restriction for Canadians in the Canadian province of Quebec.
According to the Canadian Embassy in Washington, DC, the restrictions apply to people who are:A US citizen who is married to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and who has lived in Canada for at least six months in the previous 12 months.
A Canadian citizen who has been employed in the US for five years or more.
A US national who is a citizen or resident of Canada for six months or more, and is at least 18 years old.
A Canadian national who has a valid permanent residence visa or has been a permanent resident of the US within the past three years.
The restrictions will affect all US citizens who have lived in the province of Québec for at most six months during the last 12 months, and Canadian citizens who live in Québec who are employed for more than 12 months in any given year.
“Our travel restrictions are a clear signal that the US will not tolerate the travel of individuals who do not meet our rigorous screening standards, regardless of the reason,” the US embassy in Ottawa wrote in a statement.
“In this case, Canadian nationals were impacted because they were US citizens.
This decision will impact US citizens living and working in Québécois who will need to adjust to the new requirements.”
In Quebec, travellers with US passports are subject to the restrictions, but not US citizens without a valid US visa.
Canadian travellers without a visa are required to apply for a US visitor’s visa and have to apply in person at the embassy.
The US embassy said it would not comment on individual cases.
Canada has not been able to secure visas for more recent arrivals from other countries in recent months, with the US suspending travel to the country in January and February.
The move comes after a string of incidents in the United States, including the arrest of a Canadian man accused of murdering a New York woman in the early hours of March 9.
The American authorities said that the 23-year-old man had been living in the country illegally and had previously been deported.
The man was found dead inside his vehicle, where he was allegedly stabbed by another man, authorities said.
A total of six people were charged with murder in the attack, which took place outside a bar.